Physical Therapy for Lymphedema
The lymphatic system is an important part of the immune and circulatory systems. Lymph is a protein-rich fluid found in the tissues throughout the body. When the lymphatic system is impaired, fluid and protein build up causing swelling.
Certified physical therapists at Christian Hospital are well educated and certified in complete decongestive therapy and treatment of lymphedema. Our team of outpatient therapists will provide evaluation and treatment which, includes:
- Manual lymph drainage (MLD) – a form of soft tissue manipulation that moves the lymphatic fluid along the normal pathways
- Compression bandaging and/or garments – These soft, short-stretch cotton materials are used to bandage the affected limb. This helps keep the lymph from accumulating after MLD.
- Remedial exercises will help promote enhanced lymph flow
- Meticulous skin and nail care – this eliminates bacterial and fungal growth to reduce the risk of infection
- Education - This will equip the patient with lifetime self-management skills.
For more more information on the treatment of lymphedema or to schedule an appointment with a physical therapist call 314.953.6090 or email us.