Working alongside our physicians, nurses and other health care professionals, allied health employees account for a large component of our patient-care teams. These are the areas in which we hire allied health employees.
Learn more about Allied Health and support positions at Christian Hospital >
The rehabilitation programs at Christian Hospital offer services to patients in both the acute care and outpatient settings. Our rehab employees use a team approach, which allows various health care professionals to contribute their expertise in providing total rehabilitation services to the patient.
Christian Hospital employs these rehab professionals:
- Occupational Therapists
- Certified Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Physical Therapists
- Physical Therapy Assistants
- Speech-language Pathologists
- Recreational Therapists
- Comprehensive Medical Rehab (CMR) at Christian Hospital -- This 18-bed unit delivers care to adult patients with newly diagnosed neurological or musculoskeletal diseases, including patients with CVAs, head injuries, spinal cord injuries, orthopedic injuries and neurological disorders. During weekly formal rounds, individuals from all disciplines meet to discuss the patient and to set short- and long-term goals
- Graham Medical Center at Interstate 270 and Graham Road -- This unit provides outpatient therapy services.
The Imaging Department strives for the highest quality care we can provide to our customers as evidenced by the number of positive responses received from nearly all of the 133,000 patient examinations performed each year.
The Christian Hospital radiology facility is composed of several radiology areas, including the Radiology Imaging Pavilion, with 20,000 square feet housing the latest imaging technology, including IDXrad, our radiology information system allowing easy access to patient information.
Northwest HealthCare, located six miles from Christian Hospital, performs 1,500 diagnostic procedures and 500 mammography procedures per month. The facility also features a cat scan, a Siemens Somatom Sensation 16 slicer with 3D reconstruction, CT angiography and cardiac capabilities. All examinations using the MRI scanner are high-quality and consist of Magnetic Resonance Imaging Symphony maestro-class 1.5 Tesla-Siemens, with 3D reconstruction and angiography capability.
The Diagnostic Radiography and Fluoroscopy Department contains four rooms and three mammography suites, plus a self-contained radiology exam room. Portable exams are performed using state-of-the-art equipment. This Department participates in the Radiology Technology Student program at St. Louis Community College, Forest Park, and Southwest Illinois Community College. The Department performs an average of 7,000 procedures per month, while the mammography area performs 470 procedures a month.
CT suites consist of two CT scanners on the ground floor of the Imaging Pavilion. The CT scanners provide three-dimensional images of all body areas within 30 seconds, providing trauma or critically ill patients the highest quality examination in record-breaking time. Our CT suites perform 1,900 procedures per month. The Imaging Pavilion also houses MRI suites, which perform 500 procedures per month.
The Nuclear Medicine Department performs 400 procedures a month, including a variety of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures on the endocrine, lymphatic, gastrointestinal, musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, respiratory, nervous, and genitourinary systems.
The Ultrasound Department presents a comfortable, convenient atmosphere for patients, visitors and staff. Designed with input from the staff, the Department houses a waiting area, dressing areas, and three large scanning rooms with hardcopy images processed on a laser printer. Abdominal, Ob-Gyn, and small parts exams are performed using ultrasound systems with Doppler and color-flow capabilities. Approximately 600 examinations are performed each month.
The Radiation Oncology Department at Christian Hospital is devoted to the treatment of cancer patients and patients with benign disease. A patient may receive treatment by high energy external photon or electron beams (teletherapy), internal radioactive sources (brachytherapy), or a combination of both. The Department is equipped with two linear accelerators, one radiation therapy simulator, a block cutting/casting system, a 3D treatment planning system and a radiation oncology information system. The area performs 700 treatments per month.
Pulmonary medicine/respiratory care at Christian Hospital employs 75 full-time and part-time employees under the direction of seven pulmonologists, one administrative director, and one manager of clinical operations. The Department performs 417,000 pulmonary procedures each year, providing 24-hour services, seven days a week, for patients with acute and chronic respiratory ailments.
The Department uses advanced equipment and therapeutic modalities, including a Puritan Bennet 7200ae, our primary means of mechanical ventilation. Our therapist and physician staff use sophisticated ventilatory modalities including inverse ratio pressure control ventilation. Registered therapists are primarily responsible for patient care planning (patient assessments/clinical pathways) and critical care (ICU, AMCU, RCU and ER). The certified technicians are involved in acute care modalities on patient floors and play a vital role in the quality of care that our patients receive.
The Breathing Center is the pulmonary rehabilitation service at Northwest HealthCare. It is one of the largest pulmonary rehab departments in the St. Louis metropolitan area and is generally recognized as one of the best in the Midwest. It performs approximately 28,000 procedures each year.
The laboratories at Christian Hospital employ approximately 160 full-time and part-time employees, who provide 24-hour coverage. The laboratory, which is comprised of the following departments, performs approximately 1.4 million tests each year. Christian Hospital laboratories meet the requirements of the College of American Pathologists (CAP) and The Joint Commission.
- Transfuses more than 10,000 components annually
- Serves both the inpatient and outpatient community
- Meets the requirements of the FDA, American Association of Blood Banks and College of American Pathologists
- Processes approximately 12,000 gynecological and 2,000 non-gynecological specimens annually
- Offers Imager technology for Pap tests
- Provides immediate assessment program in radiology on fine needle aspirations
Phlebotomy/Lab Tech 1
- Collects blood specimens for laboratory testing from:
- Outpatients at multiple draw sites
- Emergency Room
- Processes and distributes specimens received in the laboratory to the various laboratory departments for testing
- Prepares and stains tissue sections from surgical material for microscopic study and interpretation by the pathologists
Laboratory Information System (LIS)
- Ensures Laboratory test results are secure, accurate and timely
- Ensures protected health information is appropriately communicated and secure
- Tests LIS functions and applications before implementation and audits thereafter ensuring accurate delivery of patient data
- Performs confirmation for drug screens for medical and pre-employment purposes
- Clientele includes area hospitals, rehab centers, and businesses throughout Missouri and Illinois
- Composed of hematology, coagulation and urinalysis
- Testing includes urinalysis, pregnancy testing, Complete Blood Counts (CBC), protimes (PT) and partial thromboplastin times (APTT)
- Uses automated equipment for most tests while maintaining some patient contact by assisting with bone marrow procedures
Performs the following tests:
- RPR and MHA-TP tests for syphilis
- NAAT testing for Chlamydia and Neisseria Gonorrhoeae
- Rheumatoid factor for rheumatoid arthritis
- Serum and urine electrophoresis
- Cryptococcal antigen
- Vitamin D testing
Christian Hospital's Chemistry laboratory is proud to be the first clinical lab in the St. Louis area to use a fully integrated automated track system to process and deliver specimens to the instruments.
- Performs more than 465,000 tests annually
- Performs analysis of body fluids for normal/abnormal analytes
- Uses state-of-the-art instrumentation for:
- Arterial blood gas testing
- Performs extensive bacteriology, which includes identifications and susceptibilities
- Limited parasitology
- Limited virology
Christian Hospital's pharmacy is a progressive pharmacy offering its staff many professionally challenging opportunities affecting patient care. Our pharmacists provide pharmaceutical care to multiple special care areas. Extensive clinical services are provided in cardiology, oncology, critical care medicine, surgery, mental health, orthopedics, neurology, nephrology, skilled nursing and comprehensive medical rehab. In our fast-paced environment, the pharmacists are kept up-to-date on the latest trends and services by working closely with our progressive medical staff.
Our pharmacists oversee automation in both distribution and clinical functions. The clinical activities include pharmacy-managed pharmacokinetic protocols, antibiotic surveillance and other programs as needed. Our pharmacists screen patients daily for changes in renal function and adjust dosage accordingly. The majority of these services are available 24 hours a day. The pharmacists work in a team-structured environment with physicians, nurses and other health care professionals.
In addition to the inpatient pharmacy, we offer retail pharmacy services. These pharmacies provide many special services to our discharged patients and employees, giving patients and their families, as well as the community, a convenient place to fill their prescriptions.
We employ energetic, self-motivated pharmacists seeking a challenging and rewarding environment in which to develop his or her profession.
Learn more about Allied Health and support positions at Christian Hospital >