Acute Inpatient Therapy
For patients needing more therapy after their hospital stay with diagnoses, our acute inpatient therapy team provides comprehensive and personalized care they need in our Comprehensive Medical Rehabilitation (CMR) unit. CMR is one of only a handful of its kind in the region and one of the first inpatient rehabilitation units in the St. Louis area.
- Spinal cord injury
- Brain injury
- Orthopedic injury
- Other Neurological Diseases (Multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease)
- COVID Rehab
- Deconditioning after prolonged/complicated hospital stay
In our 18 bed CMR unit located on the 2nd floor of Christian North East Hospital, we provide:
- Personalized care with a highly experienced nursing and therapy staff.
- Daily Physiatrist oversight
- Dedicated Physical Therapy Gym
- Dedicated Occupational Therapy Gym
- Day Room for Recreational Therapy
- A full kitchen/laundry set up to facilitate an at home experience
- An adjustable car to practice car transfers prior to discharging home
- On-site hemodialysis
- Addresses functional and psychosocial needs of the patient, manages medical needs while undergoing their rehabilitation program, and advocates for their patients.
- Manage referrals for potential candidates for acute inpatient rehab and obtain insurance approval for those patient’s that meet criteria for admission.
- Oversees the day to day operations and supervises nursing team, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy.
- Our highly diversified nursing staff provides the highest level of compassionate care while assisting individuals with disability and or chronic illness to attain maximum function. Collaborating with the interdisciplinary team to assist those in adapting to an altered lifestyle, while providing a therapeutic environment for patients and their families.
- Assists with discharge planning and any discharge needs
- Christian Hospital and Northwest HealthCare offer patients comprehensive care throughout their rehabilitation journey. Whether following surgery or as treatment for an injury, our dedicated physical therapists and licensed PT assistants will be with you every step of the way. Our physical therapists and assistants work one-on-one with you, developing a personalized therapy plan that best fits your needs.
- Treatments include:
- Conditioning and stretching exercises
- Pain relief
- Manual therapy
- Spine and joint mobilization
- When injury or illness interferes with day-to-day activities, occupational therapy helps patients regain their independence in daily life. Our occupational therapists and licensed OT assistants are committed to getting patients back to their routine as soon as possible, whether recovering from an injury, stroke or surgery. Role-specific therapeutic activities facilitate strengthening, re-learning and problem-solving.
- Treatments include:
- Altering the environment or using adaptive devices or techniques for daily activities
- Joint conservation
- Energy conservation
- Fine motor control
- Splinting of upper extremities
- Upper extremity strengthening/facilitation of normalized movement
- Compensation for cognitive/perceptual deficits
Speech Language Pathologist
- At Christian Hospital, our speech-language pathologists develop individualized treatment programs for patients with communication or swallowing problems due to disability, surgery or developmental disorders. Our speech pathologists work with the patient to make positive lifestyle changes to speed recovery and prevent recurrent problems, ultimately improving their quality of life.
- Treatments include:
- Voice disorders
- Cognitive disorders
- Swallowing disorders
- Speech and language disorders due to stroke or neurological disease
- Difficulty with fluency and stuttering
- By utilizing recreation and other activity based interventions to address needs as a mean to psychological and physical health, recovery and well-being, we provide a full comprehensive approach to patient’s recovery
Referrals can be made from:
- Acute Hospitals
- Fax Number: 314-653-4118
- Intake Coordinate Number: 314-653-5307
Determine if you meet medical stability and criteria for admission
- A rehab related diagnosis
- Must be medically stable and be able to participated in 3 hours of therapy a day
- Require at least 2 out of 3 skilled services (PT, OT, SLP)
- Require Physiatrist oversight
- Require 24/7 nursing care
- Have the potential to benefit from therapy and achieve measurable outcomes
- Have the desire to participate
- Realistic Post Rehabilitation Discharge Plan
- Must be 18 years old
Christian Hospital and Northwest HealthCare, members of BJC HealthCare, provide world-class medical care to the communities of North County, Greater St. Louis County and Southern Illinois.